Friday, January 22, 2016

Reflecting on My Oneword 2015 - Share

You can read the original blogpost here.

My Goal
How I did
What Ive learnt


I will share the load- ask others for help, delegate tasks to others and give them the time and support to do those tasks.
I will share leadership- we have constructed a really distributed leadership model of school wide teams for the year and  my job as the educational leader in the school is to coach the leaders of those teams so that  we have real sustainability.

I think that we all did pretty well at this. Transforming the way you do things in schools requires you to really change the way you use time. There are so many traditional time consumers that we really have to question the purpose of in our schools. Giving our through school teams a whole day out together each term was a real priority so that they could get some real traction on their ongoing work- the kind of traction you don't get if you are meeting for 30 minutes after a busy day teaching when you've still got marking to do and planning to create for the next day. 
Coaching was a bit up and down. Not as consistent as I would have liked because other commitments took me out of school too much last year. 
Probably the most fascinating thing was closely observing the process of learning communities (known as syndicates or departments in other schools) operating with no official leader. This had to be given some real time, because people are not sued to collective responsibility. Its easy when you can do your best and then pass it onto someone else but when all of you in a team have responsibly and when there is no “middle man” to blame or fix it takes time to settle into flowing roles and responsibilities. And it takes huge communication- communication that is not always comfortable and sociable, but is really collegial. 

My biggest learning: Sharing leadership and truly distributing it means truly letting go. You have to trust people, and you have to know that they will find their own way to do things.

I will share my story as an educator and our story as a school with the wider education world.
I think Ive really done well with this. 
Ive become really active on twitter networks. Ive particularly enjoyed participating BFC630NZ a breakfast chat started Kerri Thomson. The time suited me and I loved that it was just a short snappy 15 min conversation on one topic. It becomes strangely addictive to be on twitter at 6.30am each morning. 
I also had a lot of positive feedback and readers my blog.
I had great feedback from presentations I did at places like the national area schools conference.
I will certainly be continuing all these efforts as I move onto a new journey this year. I’ve already been made very welcome to Christchurch online by the CHCHEd group and there already a drinks session arranged to get to know face to face all those people I've got to know so well online. Such an awesome feeling when you are i a new city knowing no-one.

My biggest learning: There is a large group of connected educators out there, really working hard to change to face of schooling and education and learning. It is an amazing feeling to be part of that.


I will share my reading. I do a huge amount of professional reading but I don't always take the time to review that reading and consider the implications or pass that on to others.

I think Ive done better with this. Ive put readings straight u onto my personal reading blog. I’ve shared things with staff. I could probably she some of this more on my public blog as well. I strongly prefer reading on my kindle now. I find it quite cumbersome to read a real book. And I love being able to take nots on amazon.

My biggest learning: Link readings straight to my blog when I read it and timetable time to reflect on it within the next week!


I will share my learning- I am going to finish my degree and I am going to really commit to learning Te Reo. And by sharing that learning it will make me more accountable to commit to the time that learning will require.

So proud of myself here. Ive finished by degree and am currently doing the final paper for a post graduate certificate in Digital and Collaborative technology through Mindlab. Im so motivated Im moving straight into a masters for 2016. I loved the CORE te Recourse and Im going to continue to build on that my doing some night classes in 2016.

My biggest learning: having a regular once a week study night with a colleague also studying was invaluable. (Thanks, Megan)



I’ve loved the concept of having a onward 2015, and I know a lot of the TKAS staff did too. It was so easy to keep coming back to and reflecting on- no having to look up those goals you eat th beginning of the year.


Next step- 2016 onward. Letting this come to me at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment